High Rock Climbing Wall Safety Rules
- Climber must be 12 and older in order to operate the Auto Belay.
- Climber under the age of 12 must have direct supervision of an adult/chaperone unless climbing during Afterschool Climb. Afterschool Climb is for school aged children in grades K-6 only.
- Climber must weigh 22lbs. minimum, 300lbs. maximum.
- Climber must fit in the harness in order to climb.
Before You Climb
- Climbers must have closed toe shoes, no boots.
- Rock wall shoes are not provided during open climb and after school climb.
- All climbers are responsible for putting on and taking off the harness.
- Please check with an instructor on proper positioning of harness prior to climbing.
- Green triangle in the climbing area means climber above. Please remain outside of climbing box until you see an orange triangle.
- Harness should be inspected and carabiner should be double checked every time you climb.
During Your Climb
- Climb straight up and down towards your anchor point to avoid a pendulum swing.
- Don’t crossover to put yourself directly beneath or above other climbers.
During Your Descent
- Don’t kick off more than 4 feet from the wall.
- Rappel straight down. Do not swing too close to other climbers, and no spinning while
- You should always be facing the wall during descent.
- Be alert for other climbers beneath you who may have strayed from their routes.
At the End of Your Climb
- When being lowered from the auto belay remember to land on your feet.
- Clip auto belay to green triangle before leaving if you are 12 and older.
- If you are under the age of 12, wait for further instruction from chaperone.
Climbing wall instructors are here for your safety, please keep that in mind while using the climbing wall.
Maximum Occupancy: 12
Rules & Guidelines
- Anyone under 12 must be accompanied by an adult/chaperone in the climbing area.
- Please leave personal items in the cubby area.
- Gear (harnesses and climbing shoes) will be distributed by the rock wall attendant. Street shoes are not allowed. After use, gear should be returned to the “used equipment” receptacle and will be removed from service for 24 hours.
- The Sports Center is providing a special liquid chalk that all participants must use while climbing.
Holidays & Snow Days
In the event of a Cooperstown Central School holiday or snow day, the High Rock Wall schedule will change accordingly to:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday • Open Climb, 9:00am-12:00pm and 1:00-4:00pm.
Tuesday, Thursday • Open Climb, 1:00-4:00pm and 5:00-8:00pm.
Call (607) 547-2800 for current schedule information.